MOD’s wind farm objection withdrawn

Share

The Ministry of Defence has withdrawn its objection to wind farm plans for
Baumber – after agreeing on new planning conditions with renewable energy
company Enertrag UK.

The government department was due to form part of the opposition against
proposals to site eight 125-metre-high turbines at Chase Farm, at a
three-week public inquiry beginning at Minting Village Hall on October 5.

There were concerns over the effect the development would have on the radar
system and air traffic control operations, at RAF Coningsby, Waddington and
Cranwell.

But, under an agreement with the MOD, if the planning inspector says yes to
the windfarm at next month’s inquiry, then Enertrag UK would not be able to
start building until they had the ‘approved’ technology in place to mitigate
these safety concerns.

A spokesman for the MOD supplied the conditions, which state: “No
development shall commence unless and until the local planning authority has
approved in writing a Radar Mitigation System proposed by the Company and
agreed by the MOD.”

Enertrag would need to have this technology in place with in a certain
amount of time, usually three years, if they receive planning permission.

East Lindsey District Council and Baumber Wind Farm Action Group (BWAG) are
both still expected to object to the plans at the inquiry.

BWAG leader, Melvin Grosvenor, said the group had a ‘strong case’ on the
grounds of landscape and cultural heritage.

However he was concerned about the MOD’s withdrawal, saying: “Even if the
Inspector or ELDC said yes, we would be left in limbo for the life time of
the permission of up to three more years, while Enertrag come up with the
mitigation and it is tested and verified.

“We have already been dealing with Enertrag for three years, and it could
end up being six years of planning blight.”

BWAG has raised around £20,000 so far towards the £30,000 needed to fund
their representation at the inquiry.

Another fundraising hog roast is taking place at Minting Village Hall on
Saturday, September 18, 7.30pm.

Plans are also in the pipeline for a sponsored walk around the proposed wind
farm site on October 10 (further information: www.bwag.co.uk).

ELDC has said that local people may be able to share their views as part of
the inquiry.

http://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/local/mod_s_wind_farm_objection_withdra
wn_1_1160847

Share

Comments

comments